Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sandy Hook Elementary

As everyone is aware, a senseless tragedy happened at what should be one of the safest places for children: their elementary school.  Twenty first graders and six women educators lost their lives in a horrendous act carried out by a mentally unstable young man who not only took his own life but that of the woman who gave him life.  While so many questions remained unanswered at this time, the only one that matters to me is why the children?  At six and seven years of age, what did they do to deserve to have their lives cut short and in such a manner?

Nothing I write will allow them to come back.  Nothing anyone says will give those parents their babies for Christmas.  Whatever changes are enacted because of this massacre will not give those children a chance to live lives full of promise and hope that comes from being so young.

I hug my two boys tighter.  I give them more kisses.  With time, I will not shudder to think of sending Goober to preschool in a month for the first time, not knowing if this will happen at our church's small preschool.  To think of those parents who thought they would pick their little ones up at school but instead had to pick them up at the morgue... I cry every time.  No one - repeat, no one - should have to.

A first grader should not be gunned down in his or her school.  EVER.  A child should not be afraid of going to school, worried about not going home at the end of the day.  School should be a safe haven, not a killing ground.  A teacher should not have to use her body as a shield in an effort to protect those she was entrusted to teach.  Students should not be practicing lock down drills; they should be practicing their subtraction and playing at recess.

How did we get here, America?  How did we lose sight of what is important?

Religion?  Gun laws?  Blame them if you must, but they are not the answer either.  We, as adults and parents, must take responsibility not only for our children (!) but for their lives and reclaiming their childhoods.  I believe in protecting their innocence for as long as possible; our children are growing up way to fast these days, and here is another example.  Why should we be explaining to our first graders why most of their friends died today?  We shouldn't.  We should be kissing their wounds, talking of Christmas and gingerbread houses, and telling them we love them and the monsters aren't under their beds.  Not kissing away nightmares of gunmen killing their friends in the hallways and classrooms of their school.

I told my husband the other day we are homeschooling our boys.  While this might change, the idea is looking better and more enticing each day.  At least I can limit the harsh reality of the modern world for a little bit longer.  Keep them children for another year.  I shouldn't have to, but the world seems intent on rushing my children from their sweet childhood into an unknown, uncaring, and dim world.  What life is that?

One of my favorite quotes I have seen floating around social media I will close with (paraphrasing):

Dear God,
How do you let these things happen in school?
A student

Dear Student,
I am not allowed in your school anymore.
Love,
God



Dear Lord, please, always, stay guarding over my children, regardless of where they are.  Hold the lost little ones in your loving arms and provide some peace to their grieving families.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment